Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 2 of the Love Dare

Well Day 2 went a little easier than Day1. Its amazing how quickly a habit forms. I never realized how many times I probably should have been biting my tongue, until I actually made an effort to do so lol. That part was also made easier by the fact that the Hubby was at work most of the day and I genuinely am happy to see him so its pretty easy to role with the happiness. The hardest part of day 2 was trying to think of a gift to buy him. I was gonna write a letter to him thanking him for all he does (thanks Shannon) but yesterday was my first day of school for Piper and Paxton and I spent more time writing the alphabet than actual sentences. Im keeping that one in my arsenal tho! I went for cheap and easy but most definitely something he appreciates. I shouldnt even call it easy because after a long day of homeschooling a K and first grader, while cooking, cleaning, and minding a 2yo and 9mo (crawling around a living room with 3 different staircases) , the fact that I have physical energy to do anything is difficult, but i found some (via a haagen daas almond ice cream bar) and gave my man a present :)



I'm posting this so late, and tbh I didn't get my dare done today anyway so im gonna give this one two days. Beaus vehicle (the beast) was broken into this morning and we spent all day running around getting new i d cards and filing police reports etc, and you will see why this made today's dare impossible. Still maintained the patience through it all, which was easy because Beau was so upset :(

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love, give preference to one another in honor...Romans 12:10

Today's dare is about selfishness. People are selfish. Great moms and dads are selfish, kids are selfish, dogs are selfish, devoted wives and husbands are selfish, grandparents are selfish, cats are very selfish, teens are selfish, babies are selfish, sweet elderly grandmothers are selfish, the sick, the strong, the wise, we are all selfish, some more some less. But love is not selfish.

"Selfishness is a trait we hate in other people but justify in ourselves". I guess its time to look inward. Why do we expect more from our partners and friends than we do from ourselves. Id like to think im far less selfish than I was in my younger years, and i do believe thats true, but i still spend a ton at Starbucks, sneak a baby carrier into the house, hoard all the best ice cream for myself. Yep, there is definitely still some selfish hanging out but its time to take it down a notch!

"One ironic aspect of selfishness is that even generous actions can be selfish if the motive is to gain bragging rights or receive a reward". I have definitely been guilty of this. I have volunteered because of it, i have made elaborate meals for it, I have baby sat, bought gifts, and probably a thousand other things. It is a great thing to do something for another person, but its an even greater thing to go into that act selflessly. Expect nothing, not even a thank you. Make that meal because you want to help, to bring a smile, to foster enjoyment and if a thank you comes thats great, a compliment even better, but when nothing comes, be content with kindness you shared. This means, if your husband hates the new recipe you slaved over, just look for a silver lining, you'll never have to make it again lol.

As a mom I find it easy to be selfless when it comes to my children, but i do find it harder to go that route with a husband whom I see as an equal, a provider, stronger than me, etc. Most of the time I do not feel like he needs me to be selfless, but maybe he does. The book asks you to ask yourself a few questions....

Do I truly want whats best for my mate?
Do I want them to feel loved by me?
Do they believe i have their best interests at heart?
Do they believe i look out for myself first?
Do I have a reputation as a loving person?

I hope that everyone can answer yes emphatically to all of the questions, but yeah right!! this is the real world full of imperfect people just like me. The question really is, do I WANT to be able to answer emphatically YES to all these questions!!! and YES I DO!

Day 3's Dare.....Whatever you put time, energy, and money into will become more important to you. We care about things we are invested in. Along with restraining from negative comments today, buy your spouse something  that tells them you are thinking of them :)

(Beau and I were together all day so i couldnt slip away, also he had my debit card cause his was stolen, soo this dare gets tomorrow and I must think of something!! )


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! I'm with you on that last part. I am always thinking my husband can wait for this or that. All the while I make sure kids and I have the best. Thank you for brining this to my attention. I'm really going to work on that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to bite my tongue hard this morning... but I accomplished day 2 and 3 today. Took the car in to have the oil changed and tires rotated and then bought him some things for his uniform. Nothing spectacular, but he mentioned needing them and I know he doesn't have a lot of free time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u r awesome D!! i still havent thought of anything to buy beau yet. everything he mentions is 300dollars and i cant buy something like that without him knowing. he did mention needing uniform socks tho!! maybe thats it :) thanks for the inspiration!

    is your tongue sore yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about an ITunes card so he can purchase fun APPs when he gets his IPhone? The complete Angry Birds game is $4.99 vs the Lite which is free LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. isnt there a law against buying someone a gift card with their own money? i didnt even think about it but i should have gotten him a phone protector thing!!!! ugh i got him a book :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is great but wonder why it seems like wives do this for their husbands and rarely the other way around? I don't think I could take this on while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard of the book, but I'm going to follow your blog:) I've been pushing in with my hubster lately probably to the point of demanding and trying to back off now. though I believe my needs are important too, but I going to use this blog to help me to keep things in perspective...thanks:)

    ReplyDelete