Monday, August 9, 2010

DAY 1 of the Love Dare

Day 1 went pretty well. I really thought at first that it would be so easy. I thought i was pretty patient, i mean, i homeschool 3 kids and don't yell a whole lot, i figured patience was my nature, but quickly i realized that I am more patient with the kids than my hubby?? who knew. I also thought that Beau would immediately notice and be overjoyed with my new found patience. Well he didn't really notice. We spent all day at the house and got nothing done. I like to get projects done on the weekend or go out and explore Colorado Springs, but Beau had a movie day in mind . It was much harder than I thought and once or twice the devil convinced me that if i continued this patience garbage we would become perpetual prisoners in our own home, a slave to the netflix. Well that didn't happen, i bite my tongue, i did not get my way, but i lived , the world is still turning and the sun rose again. He still has no clue im doing the love dare but maybe it takes patience more than one day to rub off lol!.

so begins Day 2.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you- Ephesians 4:32

today is about combining that patience with kindness. If you knew me before I was married , you might wonder if I'm aware of the definition lol but the book says kindness is love in action. That totally reigns true for me. Despite numerous examples of kindness throughout life, none sank in till I met Beau. He has one of the kindest hearts of anyone I know, and I think I can count on one hand how many times he has spoken negatively about another person, even when they deserved it. So, you try living with a person 24/7, moving to a new place where they are the only person you know, and not becoming alot more like them....it doesn't work. Shortly into my marriage I found myself a much more kind person than I ever had been before and of course God took that and ran with it!

Do not let kindness and truth leave you, bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good repute in the sight of God and man Proverbs 3:3-4

soo true, since Beau injected a little kindness I find myself a better mother, better friend, its easier to make friends, and only after I became a more kind version of the old me did I truly learn to be happy for others. It seriously took me more than twenty years to discover that joy! I'm hoping to work on this kindness thing because so far it seems like a pretty good deal. According to the Love Dare, kindness has 4 parts= gentleness, willingness, initiative, and helpfulness.  It then shares the story of the good samaritan (Luke ch10).  Basically a show of kindness, increased by being unexpected or even undeserved. Kindness in its sincerest form is given out of love, not in return or after the fact. So be the one to smile first, serve first, greet first and most importantly forgive first! and on that note.....

Day 2s love dare.............In addition to saying nothing neg (yesterdays dare) add an unexpected gesture of kindness.

I haven't seen my hubster much today but I did cook breakfast, which for me is kinder than the usual offer of cereal or smoothies :) I'm not going to count it tho since it was actually before i read today's dare haaaa...im still thinking of what my unexpected act will be. please share any ideas??

6 comments:

  1. its great that you are doing the love dare! when i had started justin didnt pick up on it either lol. i think, if my memory is correct i wrote justin a mini letter praising and encourageing him as a husband, father, and friend. corny i know but he loved it. another idea is maybe finishing off an item on his honey do list, if he has one. making his favorite dinner or dessert, a back rub. hope that helps or sparks an ides for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok..I'm going to have to think on this one. Well, I willingly went to the dirty pick your own car part garage thing with hubby this morning, and didn't complain ONE bit when he took 40 min. in there, leaving me and all 4 cranky children waiting in the van. Does that count? PLEASE say it counts!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That DEFINATELY counts!!

    cooking would be the easiest thing, but now that beau is on p90x it would also be considered sabbatoge! i do think he would like the letter though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dh left me a post it on the bathroom mirror this week. It said, "to the most beautiful woman in the world, I love you!'
    I need to do the love dare. Keep posting, I willbe a few days behind you.
    I have been so short and unkind since he got home from Iraq. At first I was thrilled bc I as thinking how much easier it would be with 2 of us...but then reality set in and I got bitter...time to focus on the ositive. Tomorrow patience.
    Thanks Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. you arent behind just jump in wherever! i hate redeployment for that reason, you spend a year fantasizing about how perfect it will be, but then the trash still needs to go out and you rarely get the fantasy cruise :(

    im soo stealing the bathroom thing tho!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had scratch mac and cheese ready when he called to say he was ready for us to come pick him up. I made it for the kids for lunch, so I felt guilty saying that was my kind and unexpected deed for the day... We bought a shelf for my laundry room that hasn't been put together yet. Maybe I'll do that and let him continue with his nap since he had to get up at 0130 to go to work this morning...

    ReplyDelete