One way I do it is with cloth diapering. I bought a few cloth diapers for baby num 2 and 3 but never really figured it out. Baby number 4 (Pearce now 3yrs) was my first fully cloth diapered child. 3 years ago I purchased my first full set of cloth diapers. While I have purchased a few diapers here and there because they were cute, It has been three years since ive NEEDED to buy a diaper. baby num 5 was completely diapered in the same set. And now that we have announced the arrival of baby num 6 this sept I realize what a true blessing cloth diapering has been. I originally got started for around a hundred dollars. So one hundred dollars to diaper 3 babies is pretty AMAZING!
blog post awhile back entitled cloth diapering 101. so we'll call this one cloth diapering 102 :) Before I blogged about prefold, kind of the original "modern" cloth diaper. very close to the old school flat dipe. The cheapest for sure, but not the easiest and can def get pretty tough with a combative toddler. Another great option are pocket diapers. there are many great brands, fuzzi bunz, rumparooz, bumgenius, snap-ez and flip. there are most def a few more but those are my favorites. Pocket diapers are easier to work with than prefolds. they consist of a diaper with a waterproof outer layer, and a water wicking inner layer that helps baby feel dry. They also come with 1 or two inserts (think washable maxi pad).
There are some great things about pockets :)
1. the insert comes out and this makes them easier to get clean, and easier to get dry!
2. if they are prestuffed, they are as easy as a disposeable diaper for dads, babysitters and church nurseries.
3. you dont have to use their insert, you can stuff them with prefolds, microfiber rags, pretty much anything absorbant you have on hand. and the best part is, you can double or triple stuff them making them, imo, the best cloth diaper for over night!
5. even pocket diapers without the grow with me snaps, still have alot of adjustablility making 1 diaper fit for a very long time. for example, pike was fifteen lbs when i moved him to a size med fuzzi bunz. he is twenty five lbs today and this same diaper still fits great. (notice action pic of pike, and orange fuzzi bunz above)
6. CUTE FACTOR , pocket dipes are reallly the cutest because they come in tons of prints and colors and you dont have to wear a cover and hide them.
this is one of my fave sites to buy pockets. mostly because she allways carries something pretty :) and it is a super smart mama who knows and uses her own inventory. if you need help deciding or washing give her a call and she is allways glad to help! i love that :)
here are some more sites to help u out: