Tuesday, February 16, 2010

thoughts on parenting....


As a parent, lately ive been thinking alot about the way I was raised. What I loved about it, what i hated. What I want to do the same, and different. Though I have long since left my parents home, I like to look at what I have taken with me. My thoughts turn to my father....who wasnt perfect. When I think of my father I remember him taking me fishing and encouraging me to learn golf. I remember playing putt-putt on saturdays and hanging out at the airport. I remember him teaching me to make beef stew even though i could care less to learn (i still make beef stew his way). I remember he was fabulous with the grill and watching americas funniest videos afterwards. I remember him bringing me dolls from all over the world, and taking me to mexico and hawaii often.


What I dont remember is that he wasnt that nice to my mom. That he travelled alot and wasnt home all that much. I dont remember him spending too much time at the office or fighting with family. I know he did those things. People have told me, I remember hearing about them. I guess my point is that, my true memories are the fun times. His love , his gifts, his time. I dont remember his flaws. Not because i chose not to, but because I dont.


and so, with my children I will create memories. Of course i feed them all four food groups as often as possible, and struggle to choose the best curriculum. All those things as parents we feel we are supposed to do in order to be labelled as "good". But in the end my children will be left with the memories and experiences I offer them. They wont recall if i styled their hair every morning and made them brush 3 times a day. They will remember hanging out with me at the park, spending time at church, and prayers over meals. They will never remember if i did my baseboards weekly but they will remember me singing and our trips to the lake. It is an amazing miracle, the mind of a child...what a blessing to an imperfect parent like me :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember all the things that we used to do as kids at your house. Mostly, I remember the guilt I still have for stomping on a butterfly. Still sorry for that. I remember your mom styling our hair and always drawing. We always stayed up playing nintendo all night. We had some great times. what I would give to be that age again. I hope all is well and I have been enjoying reading all your blogs.

    ReplyDelete