Thursday, February 18, 2010

moms best friend :)


I want to share with the online world one of the things i love best about having a baby! Of course there are the little noises, the snuggle time and that cute little nose. Love the baby carriers for sure but i have to admit the diaper changes have me smitten! For years I loathed them, 11 years to be exact. Thats how long ive been changing them, so i consider myself an expert!




One diaper in the trash at a time, bleh. By the time I had my third baby i was done!! absolutely sick of wasting my money on those things, and what the heck was that gel in there anyway. Once i tried to shove a full one into the diaper pail and it exploded!! Piper had rash after rash and I never knew what to do. I took a bold step and googled cloth diaper. Wow I though, ten bucks for one diaper seems harsh when your definition of a diaper is something that ends up in the trash! and then add another ten bucks for a cover. I was shocked but still fed up so i bought one for my nb and one for my toddler. I got them and didnt really know what to do with them, their butts looked big and so after a few days i gave up and tossed em in a box somewhere.




Fast forward 18mos, im pg with my fourth baby and in walks carrie with her baby in a cloth diaper. Hmmmm.... after a thousand questions I was sold. I was committed. and thats the way you have to be. I got some more info and purchased 2 dozen , diaper service quality prefolds, 5 snappis (no more pins ladies, just an elastic band with grips) and 4 bummis covers. He wasnt even born yet and i was smitten! the covers were cute and i felt empowered. I could take care of all my babies needs essentially with breasts and some cloth. After I got started the feeling grew. I was wiping with disposeable wipes and throwing them in the trash and the diaper in the diaper pale (a small trash can with a lid). So a quick call to carrie solved that, I was the proud owner of a cheapie pack of baby washcloths in a ziploc bag with some water and a bit of witch hazel (a trick i learned from aimee to eliminate mildew).




I have since begun to have fun with my diaper stash. It includes all-in-ones aka dad diapers (no cover needed , its just like a regular diaper) pocket diapers (just like an allinone but there is a pad you pull out for easier washing and drying, but requires the additional step of stuffing before wear) and fitteds (needs a cover like a flat dipe but doesnt need a snappi). These all come in fab colors and look great. They are a little easier but they dont buy you the street cred of a flat diaper!! lol




In total i have spent around a hundred bucks for my diaper stash, seems like alot but then i threw away thousands of dollars in diapers on the three kids who wore reg dipes (aka sposies). so i love my cloth diapers, ill never go back! and the best part of all is im using them all over again with Pike!

3 comments:

  1. Even Grammie has learned to use but prefer the DAD diapers...LOL...i really don't like the snappis :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh MY, I wish I would've known, I just GAVE away 20 hemp snappie diapers with the covers. I used them with Zeph and Michaiah, and they weren't worn out at all. I purchased mine from Crikket's Diapers online, good stuff. I originally started because of the damaging effects those non-biodegradable diapers do to our planet. In my research I learned what all the chemicals do to our lil babies too. SCAREY!!! I also did the cloth wipes, so simple and handy :) I tried to get all my friends hooked on cloth diapers, they all laughed. I don't plan on having any more children, this is why I finally gave them up, but if I did, I'd be quick to send $200 on Diapering care, it's a fraction of the cost of the earth and baby destroying disposables. Where I'm from (portland, Or) they still have diaper service :), wouldn't that be nice?

    ReplyDelete