Wednesday, June 30, 2010

setting goals

We had an exhausting day. It started with a trip to REI (somebody who shall remain nameless, was a bit jealous of my fivefingers). Snagged some winter coats (great sale on North Face) and camelback bladders and headed to the zoo after cleaning up the house. We upgraded our memberships to include the ski lift, which sent me literally into out loud public praying. For some this is normal, but for me it is unusually. Definitely takes a special situation. I can do it fine at church or when asked amongst Christian friends but typically i am not that lady praying loudly at the zoo, but there i was babywearing, 5 fingers dangling over Colorado springs, gripping onto a four year old (who i am further scaring) and forcing my 11yo to pray loudly and fervently for the safety of our entire family as im certain both carriages will plummet to our demise within moments. In true Awesome God style, he delivered us to the top of cheyenne mountain and even calmed my spirit so much so that I enjoyed the ride down. I LOVE THAT GUY! ....and that is just how i like to think of him. He is like a husband, a best friend, the best dad ever and he is always there. He is my rock and He deserves my best.

My friend Kacy was sharing her thoughts with me via facebook today and she mentioned how she wants to serve Him in all she does, and the fact that sometime its hard. Sometimes (esp as busy mothers, students, wives etc) we are going through the motions of life. I have confidence that in this mundane motions the Lord is forever giving us the opportunity to glorify him. So thanks to Kacy I am making a list and checking it twice. I want to make sure to bring honor to my God tomorrow no matter what is presented my way and I know I can!

1. The Kids, he gave them to me simultaneously blessing me and allowing me to bring him glory 5 fold. I promise to teach them his ways (train up a child in the way he should go and when he is older he will not depart Proverbs 22:6) I also promise to make more of an attempt at treating them with all the love Christ has shown to me especially working on His fruits of patience, kindness, gentleness , and self control (aka no yelling)

3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than hearing my children walk in the truth ( there it is, my life verse, the reason i homeschool, the reason i raise them in my faith, from his lips to my ears, He has NO GREATER JOY, because of this i believe raising my children according to his word, no matter what else i choose to do, is my number one job for now and this verse makes it clear that he totally appreciates it, again, GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY)

2. 1 thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing. I had an awesome habit of this awhile back but have since been slacking. Too many distractions! but God didnt forget about me while he was distracted with ya know, EVERYTHING! so i have no excuse. I literally mean praying while i sweep and do laundry, praying for my children as i scrub their toilets and make their beds. Praying for my husband as i fix his plate for dinner. Praying that the Lord keeps this on the top of my to do list and always on my heart for I know obeying him and doing the simple task of prayer he has asked maintains our relationship and brings Him glory!

3. We are committed to being debt free and always have that as a top goal. Minus the mortgage of course we are close but there is always temptation. I know this choice pleases Him so I want to continue on this path bringing him glory (so thankful to The Crown Ministry and our awesome teachers Eric and Jenn for getting us there) 1 timothy 6:10 for the love of money is the root of many kinds of evils

4. Titus 2:4-5 encourage young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands so that the word of God will not be dishonored.

I want to focus on the husband part of this verse more lately. supporting him in his life and career (making sure he has clean uniforms and a full belly) giving thanks for Him and trying in general to make His job easier as much as I can, doing this all for God's glory!

besides, our husbands have alot on their hands!!
If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever 1 timothy 5:8

wow, now thats pressure, and it is my goal to help take a little pressure off. Help my man stay healthy, low stress, cooking good food, encouraging physical fitness, helping him find that pair of ever disappearing flip flops etc... truly all these small things can work together to aid my husband to be obedient to our God thus giving him glory


well thats enough of a list for tonight. it feels good to write it all down so I can go back and double check myself. Like my friend Kacy I want so badly to serve my God in all I do. Sometimes it just feels impossible, like i need to be out evangelising and starting churches, feeding the hungry and healing the sick. I would love to be doing all those things, but I do have to get the job done that He has placed before me and I want to do it His way. My prayer tonight is to think about all of these things as I go through my day tomorrow. To keep checking back and reminding myself not to just go through the motions. To do each thing with His love at heart. I wont be perfect, i will falter, but with prayer I will get closer taking it one day, one act of service, one Christ-reflective choice, one moment of prayer, at a time! each day presents a new opportunity given by God and I want to make the most of it!

3 comments:

  1. you inspire me, humble me, and on other days even make me laugh out loud! thank you for sharing your heart:) love you, :janne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts! I have never even "met" you but I really love them. I often feel like a failure because I am not as religious as I would like to believe. I went through the motions for my mother-got baptized as well as did conformation but I do not even really KNOW the bible. I love what you have written...it actually makes me want to research the bible more. I want to join a bible group but do not want to feel stupid for not already knowing everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think alot of people share those same feelings. i avoided church and avoided a bible study group even longer because i thought i would go there and people would find out i didnt know much. i learned more in one year at bible study than i did my entire life going to church. when you study for yourself, because you want to, its amazing how much more you can understand! and every study ive been to (all over the country due to the moves) has been full of women eager to share their knowledge as well as women who know nothing and want to learn. Never feel stupid going there!

    ReplyDelete