Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I mean, i think im good at it, right?

So today was my first full day back to work. I mean that mom job, ya know , the one i volunteered for, receive no pay for, but love :) It went pretty smoothly. No major mishaps but I did find I miss my routine. A new home, a new state, I wondered if i would be able to jump right in. Technically Beau started work last week but he has been getting off early and coming home for lunch everyday so today was really day one for me. I actually had errands to run which of course included target and starbucks, proof positive that some things never change.

While we didn't have any activities planned things are always busy around our house. The new house has 4 floors and then the backyard. There was something going on, in each area, all day long. In the backyard there was a child stuck up to his ankles in the mud (there is a major construction project going on back there). On floor num 1 there was some sort of lego explosion, floor two resides the wii (always the source of an argument) floor 3 is the tv and where the baby hangs out (both are sources of entertainment) and up top apparently there is a game going on that involves seeing who can unhang clothes the fastest.

Throughout the chaos (it actually isn't chaos but i know it seems that way to everyone else lol) i find myself repeating the same statements over and over and wondering if I am really doing the right thing, saying the right things, helping them to become better humans in general? after all, that is my goal, that is what i assume i am doing. But really, how many times will I remind them to share? How many times will I take away a coveted possession so they will learn to treat it better? My kids can be best friends one minute and mortal enemies the next, as evidenced by my repeated pleas "do not hit your prince charming with the light saber, no he doesn't like it, its not nice" There is also the ever present "why" that follows. I remind each of my precious Ps to stop complaining at least once a day, no doubt they learned this from me however i feel obligated to atleast make an attempt at counterbalance. Sometimes it appears nobody can hear me and so i frequently remind my small folks to put on their listening ears. Every now and then i have my doubts if it is working. I see the moms who let it all slide and occasionally wonder if they have greener grass. I usually find that i don't want to spend enough time around their children to find out lol.

well tonight I took my doubts to the Lord. I wanted to remind myself why those daily lessons are important. How it shapes them into adults in such a good way. Adults that others will enjoy the company of, adults that will worship the Lord , serve His people and make mama proud :) well of course God gave me an answer, simple as pie. Colossians 3:20 reminds children to obey their parents, for this is right. It all starts there. sure some "why mommy"s require more explanation, which often is a good thing and facilitates learning but many don't. and sometimes the ones that do require more explanation will just have to wait till we are out of the grocery store, but a good recitation of Colossians 3:20 will do for now.

When I ask them to stop complaining I can simply go to Phillipians 4:11b I have learned to be content in all circumstances. This includes waiting your turn for the wii and accepting the fact that one will never be allowed to play "whack a mole " with the sprinkler heads! This lesson really increases when Moms lead by example, pressing on for hours with no sleep, surviving on little more than left on the plate chicken nuggets and coffee, all the while showing love and appreciation for those little blessings underfoot (or on your back, or stealing your laptop, even the ones you fish out of the mud).

Hebrews 13:16 for do not forget to do good and SHARE with others, for in such sacrifices God is pleased. So now, when i say "please let your brother play with your littlest petshops" it will be followed with "because that would make God happy". Kids love to make anybody happy. It truly is a part of their nature. Hence the "help" you receive in the kitchen. Its just that as adults we train them out of it, because it was trained out of us. Simply to please God is a good enough reason to do anything and starting tomorrow i plan to reintroduce this concept to my little, and not so little, blessings who love to claim everything "mine".

A couple of years ago I made a point to have my kiddos memorize the fruits of the spirit. I used a song, we talked about them. They all agree those are great rules to live by. that is of course until they are expected to show those fruits to their siblings. Love, Joy, seem to come easy, its Kindness that tends to get hung up. Ephesians 4:32 tells us to show kindness and compassion to others. I ask them daily, are you showing kindness? with mixed responses. This verse reminds me that,yes, I should keep doing this. Kindness is important, in life, in friendship, and certainly to God. So Ill keep it up, trying to show kindness to them, trying to remind them to show it to each others, and setting examples and fostering opportunity as this is an attribute of Christ I definitely want to shine in my children. furthermore I will ignore all children who contend that I am not showing kindness by protecting those oh so tempting sprinkler heads.

As for not being heard. I think all mothers feel this. It is reality. But that doesn't mean give up or purchase an air horn. God says in Proverbs 18:13 He who answers before he listens-that is his folly and his shame. Wowza!! sounds kinda sad, the last thing I want my children to experience is folly and shame, so i intend to press on encouraging "listening ears" and flicking light switches for attention. It is not for waste after all.

It seems there is encouragement to be found in His word for me tonight. Encouragement that those every day exhaustions will bear future fruits. Reminders of what will happen if i were to decide that it wasn't worth it. Ill keep going, keep teaching them and learning with them. It is my prayer that some day they will do the same. They will show kindness, be forgiving, serve others and God. They will be great people some day and Im working hard to help i happen.

Better try and get some sleep, tommorrow is a busy day, mouths to feed, diapers to change, ipods to fix, and hearts to mold :)

4 comments:

  1. so glad you are molding hearts for generations to come:) keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the reminder Courtney! SOme days us moms of MANY forget to take a deep breath and speak gently or even why we do it.
    Today's mission, and eveyday's mission, to mold hearts...nicely put!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT, Courtney! Thanks for the encouragement. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, you have become a beautiful mom and wonderful example to your children! Your post was very inspiring!!! Hope ya'll are happy in the new home!

    ReplyDelete