Tuesday, June 29, 2010

i finally did it!! for real







So a few weeks back I wrote my first book review blog about Christopher Mcdougall's Born to Run. Without question, it inspired me! I began telling everyone i knew how awesome running was, how they could do it now matter how old or unfit, they were made to do it!! and one day i was gonna get off the couch and do it too LOL. Of course, i needed the right outfits and could no longer use the good old newbalance tennies anymore. Barefoot ted taught me all about how my body was meant to function and how i had trained my feet into cushioned lazy couches merely fixed to my ankles, so whenever i finally got off the couch, i planned to do it his way. Barefoot! but the reality of running on concrete in this under construction suburban bliss might require a little help. This help comes in the form of Vibram fivefingers. Meant merely to protect the foot allowing for all that natural grace, balance and grip to do its job. So I clicked purchase and waited.....






meanwhile a babywearing friend named Abby turned me on to the reality of my situation. While i COULD hit the ground running, more than likely I would need to ease into this, so i took her suggestion and checked out a "couch to 5k" training program! Whenever those shoes arrived I planned to begin...a nice thought, but much harder to put into action.






well since we are so "new" we don't even have a mailbox yet, we have to drive to the PO to check our mail. Needless to say, it doesn't always get done. I knew they were probably here, but i also knew what that meant, and so i was in no hurry to go, but eventually i went and there they were. The box was smooshed, but i knew what it was. I ran in and tried to hide them. The husband and all the kiddos knew I was becoming a runner upon arrival. Every time i was reminded of my new promise to start exercising, i reminded said family member i was waiting on the shoes. But the shoes were here, and I just wasn't quite ready. Those vicious family members would be more than happy to push me out the door and laugh. I envisioned them loading up the suv and hanging out the window with a video camera laughing all the way down the street. Alas, they stayed hidden in the kitchen for all of five minutes. I hear "whats that package in there?" beau says. In chimes a few little voices "its for me its for me", so the truth had to be told. I showed off my newest most prized possession. I carefully tried them on in front of an audience of inquisitive onlookers. They were strange, I'm not gonna lie. it felt weird on carpet, even weirder on wood. I thought they would feel like socks, but really, it felt like nothin??



but those naysayers weren't gonna break me. I wore my smile assuring them all they were perfect and wonderful just as i had said they would be. Now i just needed an outfit. i figured it would take me weeks to get around to finding an outfit.






not so much...we just so happened to be at target last night and beau suggested we check next door at tjmax for some new duds. I though, sure, they never have teeny sizes, ill be fine, they will have nothing for me. so we went. and there it was, an entire rack full of my size of course. and so i found myself around 2pm with nothing to do , kids watching a movie tired from golf. all was peaceful and no more excuses. i snuck upstairs, got dresses, slipped into the fivefingers, but i just couldn't go it alone. I would need moral support, and not the suv drivin, lol, picture takin type. Someone who believed i could do it, someone who loved me unconditionally, who would encourage me along the way with laughs and giggles and a mutual adoration only a mother understands and so i grabbed my Himmel Mei Tai baby carrier complete with a silk sleeping hood just in case he tuckered out before i did, i tossed my biggest fan on my back and off we went.






according to the "couch to 5k" program, i could start walking for 5 min and only had to run a totally of twenty min. Seems like nothing to most but i haven't ran 1 mile in over 5 years. since i was pregnant with Paxton who is now 6. WOW, i guess between all the diapers, feedings, cooking, cleaning, babywearing, blogging, golfing, moving, and mothering in general, physical fitness just didn't make the cut. Truth be told, I've always been so small that i hardly felt pressure to do so. I could tell you all about the risks of not, all about the benefits. I went to nursing school , i know how to take care of my body.....but that doesn't mean i do it :( but it took a book and the inspiration of the Tarahumera people to get me off the couch. Who knew a tribe of Mexican runners could get a Colorado mom of five off of facebook for a bit!!! but i have to say.....






I DID IT! and it was great! the weirdness of the shoes passed within the first few yards, i was in a groove. More of a jog than a run (pike did protest only at certain speeds). The slight jiggle of a jog sent pike into raving giggles. We waved at new neighbors (no dunny girls today :) construction workers, the milk man. No doubt we were an odd sight, but i have to say, I'm feelin good. I feel just like I've had a nice glass of wine and relaxed for hours, its amazing! I made the full twenty minutes plus a min or two. Just like Christopher said, when you run because you want to, not to win, or lose weight, or because of someone elses goal for you, you can truly love running! For the first time ever, i enjoyed myself on a run. I'm certain pike did too! as for that unruly audience, I arrived home amidst cheers. ........truth be told, i was questioned military style on where exactly had i been, accused of hiding around the corner as my twenty min stop watch ran out.....but in my mind there were cheerleaders and perhaps a small ticker tape parade. Now the only question is, will i be able to wait 24hrs I'm supposed to before i give it another go??

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, you rock! You are my hero! Keep it up, I believe in you. And you constantly amaze me as to what a good writer you are. You hid your talent so well when I knew you. Not being much of a writer myself, it never occurs to me that someone else might be. And you are! I love your blogs. Thanks for sharing your life with me. :)

    ReplyDelete