Friday, April 16, 2010

yet another breastfeeding blog


I have breastfed 5 children for a total of 40months and counting and yet things still dont allways go perfectly. With the first I fell into the trap of letting others feed the baby. I thought I could have my cake and eat it too, but a couple of months in I was all dried up with no clue why? With the second all went pretty well but I had to drive to alaska and spend a week on a boat, it was rough and around 7mos there wasnt much left. With the third, I thought i was a pro, i had made the mistakes, learned from them and had no probs. Even Piper was a pro, she latched so well she fell asleep instantly and only nursed about 5min every few hours, until day 5 when my milk was all gone??? turns out you actually have to stimulate breasts more often than that to make them produce milk :) with the help of a LaLeche League volunteer and my mil I was able to regain my supply and continue on nursing until 8months when she suddenly decided she wanted nothing to do with boobs or bottles and we switched to the cup. sooo with number four I knew, i had finally made all the mistakes there were and this time it would be bliss. Pearce was born, all went smoothly, nursed like the pro I knew I was until day 3 or so, on came the cracks and the bleeding and what the heck ? It was a rough start but after that infamous 2 week hump all was well, I bought stock in Lansinoh and moved on. this time it was great, he nursed until 18mos when Pike was growing in the belly and mama just couldnt do it anymore, SUCCESS finally!




Now pregnant with my fifth baby this time was gonna be bliss. I had nothing left to learn. I knew it all, but oh when you know it all, how hard you fall :( Adjusting to a fifth child has been a challenge. While pregnant i sported the phrase "whats one more" with delight. But once he came, it was a little harder than I had expected. We got through it, adjusted routines, employed new distraction tactics and got Pearce pottying independantly faster than you could flush. Nursing however was bliss. No engorgements, no more pads, it was great. I can nurse here or there, i can nurse anywhere, on a plane, at the zoo by the crane, I can do it wearing a hat, I can do it inside kartchner caverns being spied on by bats. Nothing left to learn my dear, but oh my breastfeeding crisis was near..................


Pike is 5 months old, nursing fabulously to sleep with each feeding and then last night, I was out of milk. Yes there was some in the fridge, but he doesnt like that brand. The good stuff was all gone?? You see you have to eat in order to make breastmilk and you have to drink water, not just coffee. who knew? and so I learn one more lesson in breastfeeding. As a mom of five, with 3 actively homeschooling, volunteering, cleaning, etc etc sometimes, i forget? But it was sad and scary to have a hungry little guy with nothing to eat :(




Now its shout out time: the most important key to breastfeeding success is support! a husband who doesnt push you to quit , he asks what can I do. Friends who offer their advice and solutions, who have been there done that and truly want to help ( thanks to ashley , jen, and a few others) a mother in law who allways reminds you that when in doubt, give LaLeche League a shout! I could have sat down and cried and given up but because of all of the support, that wasnt even on the brain. you can successfully troubleshoot your breasts! and its much easier than a computer.




And so , with the help of my neighborhood angel (Melissa that would be you!) and her delivery service of mothers milk tea, fenugreek, and a fancy boobish bottle, we have plenty of milk this morning and the crisis has been averted!! YAY Pike and I are so greatful.




I write this to encourage all mothers and mothers to be, to breastfeed. give it a try! dont be discouraged when it doesnt go as planned. not much in life does. Just because something is natural and you are made for it, doesnt mean it will be easy, but it will allways be worth it :)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful tale...great ending...and you are so right about support <3

    ReplyDelete