Thursday, April 22, 2010

what u take away


As a child I was in and out of church (Central Church, memphis tn) . pretty inconsistant. I did a brief stint as a private school student so i got some religious training there as well (ECS). I cant tell you what I learned or share a great biblical lesson with you, but what I can say is that I was saved. There were still many lessons to learn, many things to experience, and a relationship to build with the Lord, but I was saved, and all the rest is just details. Though I hadnt yet begun my walk with Christ, I left Memphis Tn with a knowledge that Jesus died for my signs, a faith in the Bible as God's holy word, and a little feeling that as my family grew, i wanted them in church.


Our first move was to Fort Polk La. Some might call it the arm pit of the Army or the country for that matter, but God had to put the alligators somewhere and they wouldnt all fit in Florida. I never started attending church there, but I did start bugging beau about it. We just werent all that thrilled about giving up our sundays, every sunday, maybe once in awhile right? Christmas, Easter? but I did get a small taste of a church family there. I volunteered for VBS that summer. I met so many wonderful people, they all knew each other, shared their love for God and his children, and left me with a little bit of "I want some of that". I dont know exactly what it was but i packed up my "IWSOT" and moved it to Alaska after a year in the bayou.


In Alaska, the first person I met was Linda. I knew we would not be friends. She was a bit older than me, pretty, athletic ( a personal trainer no less) outdoorsy, pretty much my opposite and she and her family were allways in church, talkin about church lalalala. But there was something in me that loved Linda and vice versa. And so we became best buddies. She would be there for me during my wilderness time. One thing she did was consistantly invite me to church with her (Anchorage Baptist Temple) and so one day, while Beau was deployed and feeling lonely, i took her up on that offer. I went, I listened, I learned, and I knew that was where I should have been all along! during our deployment the people there adopted Beau, prayed for his safety, mailed him letters and goodies. They also took care of me. The pastor of my class would stop by, people helped with the kids, they loved me and I loved them. I started taking Bible studies, did a little more of that volunteer stuff, and when Beau got home he joined right in. They were immediately happy to meet him and cared about him too. Before he knew it he landed a gig in the Christmas pageant and found himself walking with Christ too! "I Got Some Of That"


During this time a couple of friends got me to a women's Bible study at the post chapel. It was another life changing experienced. Sure I was saved, I was churchgoing, but what now. At the Ft Richardson PWOC I was welcomed with open arms. They didnt care that I had not been a lifelong church attending allways perfect Christian. They loved me inspite of my flaws but there was more....these ladies encouraged and facilitated my spiritual growth. They were mentors, they got me in His word, learning daily. They helped me establish the habit of spending daily time with the Lord. In addition to all of this, these ladies gave me the confidence to develop my own ministry. They helped me believe that God can use me to reach, teach and help others. So I left Alaska with a family of 5 , one on the way, and a sense of fulfillment in Christ. I had a job and a purpose. most of all "I Got A Little More Of That"


As soon as we arrived in Arizona, we moved in and found a church. That church was Sierra Vista First Baptist and we jumped right in. We got into a sunday school class and i continued volunteering. They had a womens bible study and there I learned from women older than me, was encouraged by women my age, and felt Christ's love. We were welcomed into this church from day one. Treated like we had allways been there. Never judged, never doubted, only loved. This is the love Christ shows to each of us and it is a churches job so share that love with others. SVFB is doing a great job! This is the first place in my life where i can walk into a room and not wonder "will there be someone to sit by". It sounds trivial, but that is huge. I know no matter what function or class or service im attending , the people here love me. There is allways someone to sit by. Someone who will show Christs love to me.

As we prepare to leave this church and head to Colorado Im thinking of what I will take with me as I go. Certainly a sense of family. I know , no matter what, i have family in Arizona! but also a renewed spirit. SVFB has challenged me. The members have trusted me with their children, allowed me to grow my own little ministry , to have input on the children's ministry as a whole. God has used this church to have me do things I never ever thought I could, would, or would want to and I have Loved every minute. During our time at this church, through sermons, and leadership shown, my husband has emerged as the spiritual leader of this family. We leave here a stronger family with Christ as the head and heart and we thank the people of SVFB for helping us on this journey. I pray that our family has left this community with a teeny bit of "IWSOT" and that seed grows in our absense.


I hope that every person reading this finds a church like the ones we were blessed with. I truly hope, if you already have one, that you take it upon yourself to be the one making others feel this way about your church. Our church in Alaska was a 5000 plus member church. Our church in Arizona is just a few hundred. That military chapel, even smaller.
All showed Christ's love to us. both helped us to grow. Its not about the size of the building, it is about the people inside. Let someone know you care they are there. Make them want to come back because they feel His love there! Leave them with a little bit of "IWSOT"


ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, copy Him and follow His example, as well-beloved children imitate their father

1 comment:

  1. I too love this church!! It has shown both me and my husband how to walk more closely with God, and most importantly there are people here who have helped us teach our children how to love the Lord! From the first day we walked into SVFB we felt welcome and as though we were members of this family. I miss my women's Bible study as I met so many wonderful ladies there who I know I could turn to for anything. I pray that we find a good church in Korea and that they have a strong PWOC for me to get involved in. I need my spiritual support! Thanks for being my friend, and thanks for being a part of teaching my children about Jesus! I love you and will miss you greatly!

    ReplyDelete