Thursday, March 4, 2010

the one that isnt good enough

I know what it feels like to be the one who isnt good enough. Its a hard place to be but I assume most of us have been there. As a teen I would describe myself as a pretty bad kid. I remember sitting in class one day looking at a girl I thought was so nice and wishing to be her friend. I knew that day she wouldnt want to be my friend. She was a "good girl". She never drank or partied, she was allways in church. I was carrying a secret, I was a partyer , I had the attitude, I was everything she was not. She was too good for me, and yet she opened her heart, she took me out to dinner with friends on friday nights while i was pregnant. She visited and called. She came to the hospital when I had my baby. Though I dont see her often enough , she is still one of my best friends and she gave me something nobody will ever take. She gave me a maybe! Later in life i would meet people and think he/she is too "good" for me, but then I thought "maybe he/she will like me anyway". I would grow up and meet other women whom i wanted to befriend and think "she is an athlete, she is older, she is the pastors wife, her house is cleaner , she has no kids, she has so many kids, she is my mother/sister in law" she will not like me. Each time I thought of study hall with Jennifer, and each time I was wrong. All of these women have become my friends and family. So to jennifer I owe a little thank you for giving me the confidence to seek out that "maybe".

I realized one day that God gave me Jennifer for a reason. She is an example, though she had no clue. You see, I became a Christian at a young age but never really went past believing. As an adult I truly began my walk with Christ but every now and then I come across a speed bump in my walk. Its that voice again. The one that tells me "you are not good enough". Its everywhere, it was there when I began to homeschool. It told me I wasnt smart enough and certainly not Christian enough to be good at that. It was there when I first took a bible study. It told me I would get there and all those ladies will figure out you are a sinner and send you on your way. It was there when I was asked to serve on the board of PWOC and when I volunteered to teach sunday school and run preschool Team Kid. That voice is allways hanging around, but God has given me the power to ignore that voice. God told me one day to enter proudly into his home each Sunday morning. He said "You are my daughter and you are good enough to be there" and I listened. Like the daughter I am, he has to repeat it alot but thats what my Bible is for! It took years to realize that I am just as good as every other sinner in that pew. I am justified to be there and share the love I have for him with others anywhere. It took years to realize that just like Jennifer, Jesus doesnt care what I have done or who I have wronged. I am forgiven and belong to his kingdom, in fact, i just might be a princess there :) and nothing feels better than that!

romans 5:18 Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, heartfelt post Courtney. I love that you found Jennifer and she, through her friendship, taught you that there's always that possibility of a relationship. And of course with Christ there is definitely more than a possibility. YOu are wonderful! And I think you're a great mom and woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glory to God, we are on that road of sanctification. He will finish what He has started in us.
    It was encouraging to read your blog. You are doing awesome just by being there for your hubby and children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in tears.

    This has truly been a struggle in my life. I was a pastor's kid, asked Jesus into my heart at 3 years old. I knew he was real, even questioned it and still knew he was real. I didn't know HOW REAL HE IS, till about 2 years ago. I was a horrible teenager too, ask my dad :( Drugs, partying, and most everything in between. I got pregnant and married (to an amazing guy) at a young age. I thought this was my intervention. I was so wrong, I didn't know at the age of 21 I'd once again fall victim to addiction, and it cost me my family :(
    It took A LOT for me to truly realize God's Grace. His mercy, giving me a gift I so did not deserve. Once i grasped that, embraced it and possessed it, I was free. TRULY FREE!
    For me, it's a battle with the enemy about my past. EVERYDAY, he reminds me of my ugliness, EVERYDAY I have to tell him I was bought by THE BLOOD! It sure is a battle that drive so many people to lives of misery and not feeling "good enough"
    I FOR SURE am always saying I'm not smart enough or godly enough to home school, it's the enemy's voice. We must proclaimed Jesus name and that He has given us the same power that was invested in to him, we can raise people from the dead!!!! He did!!! The SAME power, not "power a lot like Jesus' power " :)
    God is so good, and the Jennifers in our lives are HIS love for us pouring through them <3 how precious?!?
    God's word is so amazing, just like you said, Isn't it crazy how he will lead you to the EXACT word you needed to hear? His Words about being our DEFENDER!!! I remember being emotionally attacked by someone about my past, some one totally irrelevant to my past. I WAS SO ANGRY and HURT!!! God lead me to a scripture that said he is our defender. I thought, DUDE, God has my back, for real!!! He is a true homie, lol!!!
    He has proved to me over and over again how much I mean to him, and defended me, let me tell ya, there aint nothin like havin God go knock on someone's heart and say "excuse me, did you just hurt my precious little girl?" LMBO!!! Sorry I get so excited when I actually let God fight my battles, and watch the enemy crumble!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!
    Grace means, we're good enough to save <3
    Thank you for sharing this with us, it touched my heart in one of those corners hidden away :)
    I love you sister, you're good enough for me, if I'm good enough for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you blog and I so needed to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many of the same feelings - you were a person that I wanted to befriend when the kids went to preschool at CDC together last year, but I didn't think I was good enough... Seems we all struggle with self-esteem issues. I have since enjoyed the times we've shared, and wish there could be more.
    I certainly don't feel worthy enough of Christ's love, but I have to remind myself that He loves me for who I am, good and bad, and the one thing that made all the difference is when I learned that God doesn't keep score. You ask for forgiveness and mean it, God says "Done, my child." and forgets it, it is then our job to learn from that mistake and get on with our lives knowing that God still loves us.
    So glad you've started this blog!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. My darling daughter....What a blessing you have been and continue to be...God is glorious...Dad and I prayed for you when Beau was just a babe. The woman who would complete him. God answered our prayers and with you and Beau we have been blessed again with 5 wonderful grandchildren. I look at you and all I see is someone who CAN DO ANYTHING. You have the love of Christ in your heart and you draw others in.

    I love you so much!!! I thank God for bringing you into our family...we have been enriched beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such an amazing and inspiring person.. Anyone that has the chance to know you has been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very sweet. Everyone is good enough =) and you weren't that bad =) If that was your thought about her, imagine if you were on the other side, like myself, and wished you could let loose every once in a while, but never could =) Life is what makes us who we are. You are great one!

    ReplyDelete