Monday, July 19, 2010

Precious are all things that come from friends, Theocritus







As a military wife I have endured many moves to many foreign lands. The hardest part for me is making a new friend. I have a terrible time talking to strangers and getting a phone num and making plans, well you can forget it. Once someone speaks to me my heart is open, I'm yours if you ll have me, but that first meeting ranks right up on my list second to waterboarding. Making friends fast is a great quality most military wives have, I'm one of the few who survives this life without it, through no fault of my own of course. The Lord has blessed me with the most amazing close friends. Friends who call me and chat like im next door, they love me like i never left and without them I would be alone ( i was blessed to have two amazing friends move to co at the same time, but trust me, this almost NEVER happens).






Many of these friends I'm not even close to. We share experiences and lifestyles, we have bonded and will always be able to pick up where we left off but we dont call or write silently knowing we will always be there for each other and if we should meet again good times will be had! There are a handful of others who have become my family. Women I truly love and would hop on a plane for, women who I will shamelessly manipulate my husbands career to be near. These are my besties, and at the top of the list is my dear Martha.






Her name says alot about her. The biblical Martha was busy cooking and cleaning and taking care of others. That is my martha! Martha Stewart if you will. She made me the most beautiful apron, shipped it across the continent (she lives in Alaska) just to lift my spirits. She careful chose fabrics she knew i would love and made me a bag that holds my beloved wrap stash. Since I met Martha, I havent given birth to a baby that didn't receive an amazing handmade gift from her. Not because she has alot of time (she is most often a single mother of three) or because it was quick and easy (the shipping charges are atrocious for one) but because she loves me, and instantly cares for any child Im blessed to conceive. She has served me three course dinners, made me birthday cakes, fed my children when i was too depressed by deployment to do much more than cereal (her husband was on his second or third at the time). She sews, she knits, I have one of her paintings hung in my home, she does it all! but thats not where her talents end and its certainly not why I love her.






Friends like Martha are few and hard to find. When my son took off for a run in the dark, cold, moose and bear infested forest near our home in Alaska after an argument, it was Martha who chased him barefoot in the snow. When I was exhausted from deployment and patience had run out, it was martha who could pick up where I left off. I cherished to opportunity to be there for her in the same way. She has no problem telling me when I'm wrong, yet because of her grace we have never argued. She cuts me slack when it takes days for me to return a call. I know she will be my friend forever whether or not we ever see each other again. I love martha unconditionally and try my best to always make sure she knows it every time we talk. God broke the mold when he made martha, she is as strong as an ox, smarter than most, creative and artistic, she is a devoted mother and wife and servant to our military, but to me she is one of Gods greatest gifts an awesome friend!






A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother Proverbs 18:24






above are some of my amazing Martha gifts. You know a friend is truly happy for you when she carefully crafts a quilt to match your new living room, featuring your favorite flowers :) thank you Martha, my forever friend, i love you :)

1 comment: