Wednesday, July 7, 2010

bring on the babywearing







Can I just say that today was an awesome day!!!!!








I had a few firsts today....1t all started with 1.my first babywearing meeting. For those who have never been to one or never considered it you MUST give it a try. I have been babywearing for about 4.5 years. I have tried a bazillion carriers and in all that time i have mastered 2 front carries and 1 back carry. Many brand new babywearers can do that much. Sure i have those down pretty well but i can say without a doubt , I mastered those carries largely due to having a real life person help me tweak them to perfection. Ive tried a few others and can do them ok but the ones i can do well and therefore love, were taught in person. There was on in Alaska and one an hour or so away in arizona, but i always put it off. Now i regret it :( so if you have a baby carrier, want a baby carrier , or are thinking you might be interested in one, find a group and drop in. If you think you dont need to use your carrier anymore, your kid is too big, or your baby doesn't like carriers, go to a meeting! i thought i knew every carrier available, but i met a few new ones today so lesson learned~ there is always more to learn/love about babywearing :)








this brings me to my second first of the day 2.meeting people from online irl . It was fabulous! Nobody was a serial killer and I escaped with my children and never did anyone even attempt to put me in the trunk of their car! if that wasn't enough to make it a great time, the ladies were awesome. I was the newby and Rachel welcomed me into her home (which was awesome) and showed me around a bit. She even threaded my ring sling which for me has proven an impossible feat. All the ladies in the group generously allowed their carriers to be played with and i even got to hold a super sweet itty bitty baby. Marcia taught me a new carry (3.rebozo for all my Latin mamas out there :) and Beth helped me through it. Billie introduced me to a carrier id never even heard of before (manduca). She also folded my wrap. Sounds boring, but when you buy a wrap don't think you will ever be able to fold it back into the box again, unless of course you run across an amazing woman like Billie (in fairness she owns a babywearing/cloth diaper store so she gets lotsa practice) It is truly an amazing feat!!








It felt so comfortable to be with other like minded mamas. 4.There was not a disposable diaper in sight. Well technically, there was one in my diaper bag i keep for church nursery, but it wasnt in sight and i left my dirty little secret at the bottom of the bag lol. There were nursing mamas galore and nobody even needed to wear a hooter hider, it was great.








I cannot wait to do it all again and I'm so excited to perfect the rebozo. After 3 years in Arizona i never even saw one irl. It is a traditional way many Mexican women carry their babies. I love learning new things and meeting new people and Pearce and Pike had a blast too. this brings us to the fifth and final first of the day 5. this was the first time since Pike has been born that maybe , just maybe a 6th P might not be the end of the world but shhh you didn't hear that from me and certainly nobody is allowed to hold me too it :)








I felt right at home

No comments:

Post a Comment