Tuesday, March 15, 2011

more of that green smoothie love :)

We've been enjoying our green smoothies for about a week or so. There  have been a few flops but quite a few amazing recipes have passed the test. There are a few things I've noticed so far.

1. I definitely have more energy. the kids probably didnt need any extra but I definitely did. Its not enough to get me off caffeine but Im definitely feeling good!

2. I'm an awesome mom. At least the green smoothies make me feel that way. I feel guilty when my kids don't get a fabulous breakfast. Cereal, Oatmeal, blah blah...but there just isn't always time. The green smoothies erase that mommie guilt because I know my kiddos had a healthy nutritious breakfast, probably better for them than what I would traditionally consider a good one (bacon, eggs, toast).

3. We are learning to love new things, even old things we don't love and its all raw, meaning lots of extra nutrition!



One of the new things I've been learning about is Flax :)

some cool fax about flax :
 1. In the early 700s King Charlemagne ordered everyone to eat flax daily!
 2. It has no taste, or so they say, i find it adds a slight nutty flavor, but yeah, mostly no taste.
 3. It contains Omega 3s much like fish oils, great for your heart, arthritis, hair , skin , nails minus that whole Nasty part
 4. Women who take 2Tb daily for four weeks are shown to lower cholesterol by 9%
 5. It prevents blood clots, so its great if you are on hormonal BC as your risks for blood clots are increased.
 6. It is a breast cancer retardant, it binds estrogen receptors and estrogen feeds breast cancer!
 7. Great for diabetics! it slows glucose absorption in the pancreas which is easier on your organ.
 8. Keeps u regular , woo hoo!

I love flax so far, lol. There is more but thats enough for now right! so, what are the cons? well.....

it makes some brown specks in your smoothie, you can tell children these are strawberry seeds and generally this works, even when you have not in fact used any strawberries in the smoothie :)

I've been adding flax to our smoothies and sprinkling it on our salads. Nobody notices and again, I'm feeling like an awesome mom providing my family with health benefits even though they have no clue :)






I want to share one of my new favorite recipes from The Green Smoothie Handbook. It's green but otherwise tastes pretty normal :)

Peachy Green:
2 peaches ...preferably fresh but I had some home canned ones from a friend and they were delish
2bananas
2 handfuls of spinach (any greens work though, i used collards)
1 cup water

works best when you blend the greens first. don't forget to toss in your flax! I have to double this recipe to make a full blender so I'd say it serves one or two small people.

No comments:

Post a Comment